Here at Material ConneXion, we’re always researching the leading-edge materials that will help you future-proof your business and lead with confidence. Here, we’ve identified the top five materials that our team of specialists and researchers are most excited by, live in our library and database now.
MC# 8387-01 Easy Insulation Cork (EIC): Engineered sheets and profiles made of expanded cork agglomerate coated with sheet metal that can be applied in refrigeration equipment as an ecological alternative to injected polyurethane for insulation. Due to its composition, the system offers many advantages over standard products, especially in environmental terms. The EIC solution has already been incorporated in the refrigeration equipment of leading organizations such as Galeries Lafayette, Akiko, E.Leclerc, Carrefour, and Airbus.
MC# 8588-01 Isomax™: A process for determining the geometry of a material that gives the lightest and most efficient space-filling design possible with highly optimized, functionally-graded structures for lightweight, high strength applications. It can be made from a variety of materials, including polylactic acid (PLA) derived from renewable resources. Applications include any area where lightweight structures and materials are required, such as defense and commercial aerospace, civil engineering and construction, footwear, personal transportation and shipping, energy absorbing structures for vehicles and personal protection, sports equipment, medical devices, and unmanned aerial vehicles.
MC# 8600-01 Food waste rubber: A patent-pending process for turning eggshells and tomato peels into viable and locally sourced replacements for carbon black, a petroleum-based filler that American companies often purchase from overseas for addition into rubber for tires and other applications. The material produced makes the manufacturing of rubber products more sustainable, reduces American dependence on foreign oil, and keeps waste out of landfills. The most common application for this material is tires. Testing shows that the rubber made with the new fillers exceeds industrial standards for performance, which may ultimately open up new applications for rubber.
MC# 8449-01 Phee Board: Decorative flat panel made from 60% processed dead seagrass (Posidonia Oceanica) leaves and 40% bio-based epoxy resin. The seagrass washes up annually in abundance on the Mediterranean shores and is otherwise disposed of as waste. Applications include consumer products and accessories (e.g. smartphones cases), interior decoration, and furniture.
MC# 7913-01 Kapok Insulation: Soft, lofty kapok/polyester (PET) blends (up to 70% kapok) that are insulating, anti-bacterial, and quick drying. Kapok is a natural fiber from the seed pod of the tropical tree Ceiba pentandra that is harvested annually. Kapok is naturally water repellent (hydrophobic) as the fibers have a waxy outer coating. Applications include jackets, bedding, sleeping bags, and lined products.
We'e sorry that this content was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Please tell us how we can improve... or what you would have liked to see?